Search & Win

About Me

My photo
I'm married to the most wonderful man in the world, and I have a beautiful stepson that I love with all my heart.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

I'm a medical oddity, as usual...

News on the medical front; seems that I am now a Type I diabetic AND a Type II diabetic.  I had always thought that you could only be one or the other, but it appears that in rare cases, it is possible to have one and develop the other. I developed Type II diabetes (non-insulin dependent) in about 1990, and my blood sugars since my gallbladder surgery had become drastictly higher and increasingly unstable.  A test for something called polypeptide levels revealed that I had developed Type I diabetes (insulin dependent) as well.  The good news?  Now there's hope for controlling my glucose levels.  The bad news?   More insulin shots.  Yay.  More shots.

Oh well...at least I know I wasn't doing anything wrong.

What else is going on...oh, the garden is coming along famously.  All I have left to plant are my tomato plants and my poppies in my flower bed Greg built for me in the front yard.  When it stops raining so much, I'll take some photos and post them. 

Greg and I bought two more rose bushes, a yellow rose and a red rose.  They are small, but showing signs of new growth.  The pink rose bush, the peace rose bush, and the salmon/pink rose bush (also known as "Nee-Nee's Rose") are growing beautifully.    I've planted a  pot of basil and a rosemary plant on the porch that are both doing fine.  I've also started six pots of other herbs which are sprouting--two of parsley, sage, thyme, lemon basil, and another pot of sweet basil.   The crowning glories are two "sweet 100" grape tomato plants who are already 2 ft tall.

In the garden, we've planted peas, green beans, arugula, two kinds of lettuce, onions, cabbage, spinach, kholrabi, yellow crookneck squash, cucumbers, banana peppers, beets, and carrots.  The only thing that hasn't sprouted are the carrots.  Also we have already picked about three quarts of strawberries from our plants--they are so tender and flavorful! 

The birds have even contributed to the garden, in their own way--all throughout the garden plot there are randomly placed sunflower plants "planted" by the birds who dropped them from the bird feeder while in flight.  Greg and I decided to just leave them there--how cool will it be to have big, smiling sunflowers keeping watch over our vegetables? 

I can't wait for summer...I plan on having garden dirt under my fingernails all season!

Take care everyone...

No comments: