Search & Win

About Me

My photo
I'm married to the most wonderful man in the world, and I have a beautiful stepson that I love with all my heart.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A bit of a rant...

Yesterday the hubby and I went to my classroom to try and get ready for the new school year. The first day of school is Thursday, August 7th. I am so excited to start a new school year; I missed my students terribly while I was sick last year.

The last month that I was finally allowed to come back to school I spent most of my time dealing with the students and didn't pay much attention to the state of my classroom. When I came back yesterday to get things in order, it made me sad to see the way some student treated my room while I was gone. What has happened to respect for other people's property?

There were wads of gum on the ceiling, faces drawn on the photos of my bulletin boards, pencils stuck in the ceiling, etc. The most heartbreaking aspect, though, was the fact that students had stolen from me. I had posters of Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, The Beatles, and Bob Marley on my walls at the beginning of the year; at the end of the year, they were nowhere to be found.

I am not blaming all of my students; the majority of them were smart, sweet, courteous and wonderful. It saddens me that there was a small, selfish, unthinking faction that did not care who they hurt, but just wanted to satisfy their own selfish wants and needs.

It may have been a form of "punishment" for me because I had substitutes in the room most of the year. I would love to find the culprits and explain to them that it was never my intention to become ill and almost die--twice--and that I would much rather have been in the classroom with them.

I'm replacing the posters, and hopefully my being there all year will keep it from happening again. Problem is, the damage has already been done.

1 comment:

Eric S. said...

Oh, sweetie.

I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your classroom.

*hugs*

It's a shame. Some people have no respect...